Little man: My song isn't coming back on mommy, it was about Jesus and now it is over.
Me: All of the songs are about Jesus, let's listen to the next one.
Little man: But mom (very whiny), I don't know where Jesus is, I can't see Him.
Me: Remember what your book said- He's always with you, even if you can't see Him.
Little man: But mom, He's not here, where is God?
Me: (Really trying to phrase this right!) Well, remember what we said, God is in heaven and Jesus is with him and will come again.
Little man: But we could go there, I think we have to take a car, it's very far away.
Oh, how I love a three year old trying to grasp what I'm still trying to grasp at 27 (almost 28) years (yes, my birthday is soon!). I am amazed everyday to hear him trying to sort through all of this information. It is absolutely the most wonderful stage. Last week, his fascination centered around the story of David and Goliath and he continually asked, "Mommy, why that little boy knock the giant down?" My husband did story time with him the other night and read the story of Mary and Martha...he came downstairs afterwards and said, "You know that Children's Bible is great, but man, it is hard to explain some of those stories to a three year old!" We are continually amazed with our little man's love for Jesus- and amazed at what he is grasping. Last week, when my parent's were visiting, out of the blue he announced at dinner, "Jesus is coming to get mommy, daddy, and me and taking us to meet his friends." I asked him where Jesus' friends were and he said, "In heaven." No, we don't make a practice of teaching our preschooler about the rapture- I'm really not sure where he picked up on that! But it did bring tears to my eyes!
In the last few weeks, I have felt a lot like my three year old. We've encountered some situations lately that have really caused me to step out in my faith. By nature, I often assume the worst. So, even if you tell me that the chances are 80% good and 20% bad, I will harp on the 20%. But, I am learning (very very slowly) that I can sit and ruminate in my fearful thoughts- or I can believe for the good. Yes, I will still chew every cuticle down and pick all my nail polish off- but these last two weeks in my fear, I have sought God. I have asked for prayer and ministering and found comfort in scripture. I have always had faith-but I have never put my faith to work like I have lately. So often, it seems individuals think how unfair it is that God would "allow" bad things to happen to good people. When, in fact, that is the furthest thing from the truth. We so often forget that with the fall came evil and free will- and sin. It is clear that things will happen that won't feel good- but it is our response, our growth, and our faith in these situations that brings us closer to God. Over the last two weeks, this is what I have been slowly learning. And yes, I definitely had one or two days when my stress got the better of me and my response to certain situations was far from Christian-like. Today however, I rejoice in lots of good news- and a renewed sense of peace- and to Him goes all the glory and praise!



No comments:
Post a Comment