Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Is Adoption Trendy?

Courtesy of Dictionary.com
Trendy
–adjective
1.of, in, or pertaining to the latest trend  or style.
2.following the latest trends  or fashions; up-to-date or chic:the trendy young generation.
3.appealing to faddish taste: a trendy hotel.
When I think of trendy, I think of the Coach bag I had to have, the Puma shoes I needed to specially order because everyone had them but they didn't sell my large size in the store, the Burberry coat I was surprised with several Christmases ago, and the Gymboree clothes that my children really need! I think of things that everyone wants, desires, and ultimately convinces themselves that they need in order to “fit in”. These things are essentially extra’s, things we can survive without- desires of our flesh. 
So- why do we think we need these things? Perhaps all of our friends have them, or we saw them advertised in such a catchy way that we can’t get them out of our heads....or perhaps the latest and greatest celebrity has it. Hmmmm...does anyone see where I am going with this yet?
Adoption has certainly become more recognizable since photos of celebrity’s adopted children have debuted on magazine covers. Now, for all of those Americans who don’t stay up till midnight searching adoption blogs- there is a face to the orphans of the world. And, if Angelina is doing it- surely a whole bunch of other people are too....right?
Yes, Ethiopian adoptions have increased in number. But, when you consider the 4.4 million orphans living in the country- the roughly 2,500 that were adopted into forever families during the year 2010 doesn’t really seem to make a dent. Some nights I go to bed, after reading 15-20 blogs of families adopting from Ethiopia, and really truly believe that EVERYONE I know is adopting from Ethiopia. A few hours of sleep later I am back in the real world and realizing that I do NOT know anyone personally who has adopted from Ethiopia.....but I do know an awful lot of people with my same Coach bag....Yes, it’s true- I do NOT know anyone personally who has adopted from Ethiopia and yet here I am, stepping out in faith, not because Angelina did it...but because God did it. 
The reality is...I WISH adoption was trendy. I WISH that people (including myself) were not questioning “Am I crazy?” I WISH it was trendy because then- when I brought my child home- I wouldn’t even have to think twice about the fact that we WILL be a biracial family- which in and of itself brings challenges and transitions. BUT, above all, I WISH it was trendy, because if it was- there would be no such thing as a waiting child, there would be no such thing as a street child- living on their own among trash and illness....If adoption was trendy- Coach would be claiming bankruptcy and the word ORPHAN would be extinguished from our vocabulary. If adoption was trendy.....you wouldn’t be reading this blog. 




1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth--I love reading your blog! I find myself re-reading your entries every time you post a new one. I'm in awe of watching God's hand moving in this situation.

    My friend adopted two American children. The process seemed like a piece of cake compared to this, except when one was taken away when the mom changed her mind.

    My eyes have been opened to the true need and I'm learning a lot. It's staggering that there are 4.4 million orphans in Ethiopia alone.

    Thank you for documenting this process and being so eloquent in your writing. I hope I don't have to write a "David Platt" letter to YOU on day! :) Hugs Danah

    ReplyDelete