Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why Ethiopia?

We recently shared our BIG news with family and friends- Facebook, as always, has the power to inform LOTS of people VERY quickly! And, all I have to say is WOW- we are overwhelmed with the love, support, and encouragement we have received! Like I said, we are BLESSED to have such an awesome family- and our friends never leave us hanging either! 

While Ethiopia was most definitely put on our hearts by God, I cannot go without sharing more about why this country has touched us so deeply. I can give you a whole bunch of statistics and leave you to ponder them....but statistics are just the beginning. Some of these numbers are too big to simply read- you will probably need to really think about them in terms of your own life for a while- let them sit- let God work on your heart- and even then I am not sure any of us can really fathom it. As my husband and I were driving this past weekend we were talking about traveling to Africa. I personally have a really hard time imagining getting off the plane, walking through the streets, and holding our child for the first time! I'm sure as we continue on this journey that will (maybe) all feel more real! However, my husband said something that has just replayed in my head the last two days. He said, "I can't wait to go- I can't wait to see it with my own eyes- I WANT my heart to break even more for those children." WOW- I guess I was so focused on the fact that I would FINALLY be meeting our child- but yes, I will see the poverty, the malnutrition, the lack of clean water....and I will see A LOT of children still waiting....waiting as God works on somebody's heart - somewhere. And of course I will see those waiting for their family to arrive to meet them too! 

So originally I thought when I posted about Ethiopia I would give you facts. But as my husband and I visited with his family this weekend and tossed around a bunch of facts we were told many times, "It's just so hard to believe." They are not wrong-it is hard to grasp! So yesterday, I gathered my mother-in-law and father-in-law around the computer and showed them this video...and that's when I think the facts began to take on a life...and a face. So I will post this video for you all to see...it says it all. 

A special thanks to the Walker family for sharing this video.
 http://www.walkerpartyof3.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I've been sitting here for a couple of minutes *wanting* to comment, but I don't even know what to say. I guess that's the epitome of speechless. May God bless you and your family for your continued and undying heart for these children. That video was gripping. Beyond simply thought provoking. Good luck coming back with just one child (smile).

    ReplyDelete