Let me start by saying- as of October 2010 I was not a runner! In no way, shape, or form could I be considered a runner. However, somewhere during my daughter's pregnancy I opened my idealistic mouth and announced to my husband (who is a marathon runner) that I would be participating in the Cherry Blossom 10-mile run in April 2011. This was my big "lose the baby weight" plan! So, I gave birth, waited six weeks to be cleared by my doctor and began training. I use the word training loosely- because I first had to walk/jog intermittently- and after about a month, on Thanksgiving Day actually- I managed to run my first mile without having to stop to walk. Was I impressed by myself!! Well, gradually I built up my miles and what do you know- I actually kept my eyes focused on the goal- and ran the entire ten miles just shy of my 2 hour goal! The best part- my husband whose pace is about half of mine- ran the entire thing right by my side, encouraging and cheering me along- yeah, he's awesome like that!
So, the race is well passed us now and I still love running (something I never thought I'd say). What I love the most about running is the time it gives me to really think, to pray, to be alone (sometimes). Yes, I run with my kids a couple times a week. No, I don't use an Ipod or listen to any music. I just never started listening during my training and now I think it would just throw me off. I like the quiet when I can leave the kids at home- and sometimes, on rare occasions, I like the distractions they offer and the "go mom!" I need when I'm dragging! Running still isn't super easy for me- but hey, I'll be grateful to it forever because, yes, it did get rid of the majority of the baby weight.
So, while I was out running yesterday- I had a thought. There are 147 MILLION orphans that help to comprise the world's population. That is a HUGE number. HUGE. That's more than the entire population of some countries...Russia, Japan, Germany, France, Italy just to name a few...yes, I had to really study these numbers and make my husband double check my math and I still cannot grasp it! I'm not sure we should be able to grasp it because it is simply unbelievable....and horrifying. How did I not know this just a few short months ago? Well, I know it now and I thank God for opening my eyes to it, because now I can do something.
I came home and told my husband....we should take on a 147 MILLION challenge of sorts...we should pledge, to ourselves and to each other, that we will in some way remind ourselves daily/weekly/monthly that these children exist and even though we do not know them all by name or face- we love them! So here is my pledge- right now I am not training for a race but I want my running to have a purpose- so for the next month- I am going to be running 14.7 miles a week. I currently run about 10 miles a week so this will be a little bit of a stretch- but that is the purpose- to stretch my mind and my heart. The running is really just the tangible way of reminding myself that there is no reason for this number. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Anyone else up for this challenge? Just pick whatever works for you...swimming, biking, walking, running...and any variation of 147...1.47, 14.7, 147....daily/weekly/monthly....I'll be cheering you on!
Please go and check out this amazing organization to learn more about the 147 million orphans that need our love...http://147millionorphans.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment