Friday, June 24, 2011

Because Everyone Loves....

A Good Book!

I recently attended a homeschool conference in our state. Besides attending great speaking sessions and being inspired by moms homeschooling anywhere from 2-14 (yes, 14!) children of various ages, I also had the opportunity to enjoy wandering around the Exhibit Hall and investigating all sorts of curriculum, educational toys, and lots and lots of awesome children's books. To say I have an educational supply shopping addiction would be an understatement!

It was during my time at the conference that we were really hoping one of us would get the call that said we had been accepted into the Ethiopia program! It was nearing the 10 day mark of when our agency said we would hear. On Friday morning, I woke up and thought- I need to pray about this! Of course we had prayed during our decision process- but lately God is teaching me the necessity of true "I need you" prayers! So before I left my hotel for the first workshop of the day- I put it all in HIS hands. That is where this whole adoption process really belongs anyway! I am a conduit of love, open arms, listening ear and a full heart for a child that is ultimately HIS! WELL- guess what- my phone rang at 2pm! Of course, it was on silent and I missed it- and spent the next couple of hours in between workshops trying to get back in touch with the agency- hiding in corners of the building where my phone got service. Eventually, my husband got word from the agency that we were accepted into their Ethiopia program! I was so excited and somewhat in disbelief- we were in the program- which meant- THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING! We now had paperwork to start!

After hearing from my husband I knew I just couldn't just go back and sit in the hotel room so I decided to wander around the Exhibit Hall again....even though I had spent HOURS in there the night before- I managed to find one booth I must have missed. While I have heard of Barefoot Books before and we have taken some of their books out of the library- I have never been to a showcase before. They are awesome! And, at that booth, I found someone who was SO excited to hear about our adoption! In fact, she had been adopted and was so excited to share some of the Africa books and adoption books that Barefoot offers. Well- let me just say- this made the whole phone call and program acceptance feel REAL!

I KNOW this book will be a favorite in our house:
What a beautiful way to explain the tie between two women who love the same child so deeply!


I also purchased this book which came in the mail today:


This book is more appropriate for the older child- Barefoot suggest 8 and up....but I love that it has a story for every African country. I plan to use the pictures in this book to help explain to my little ones the journey we are taking!


So excited to begin building a special library for our child!



Thank you Shana Miller- Barefoot Books Ambassador
http://www.barefootbooks.com/marketplace/27068

No comments:

Post a Comment