Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I had the chance to apologize...

So...do you remember back in my What does adoption cost....and why fundraise? post I mentioned a girl I knew who adopted domestically...and how at the time I was too ignorant (my words) to understand why someone who couldn't afford the cost of an adoption should adopt? ( I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost $35,000 a month to raise a child- but it does to bring one HOME). Yeah- it was back when I'm not sure I could tell you where Ethiopia was. Oh so very many four years ago. Well, it has been NAGGING away at me since we made the decision to adopt that I ever had this thought...and that I did nothing to support her- and most definitely did not support her financially in anyway. I mean- really- it had been driving me nuts! Well- God has a funny way sometimes of giving us the opportunity to publicly confess and reveal our flaws....if we so choose.

So, a few weeks back- I noticed we had both been invited to the same play date by a mutual friend. This could be my chance...I thought...would I be brave enough? Would I be willing to outright tell her the thoughts I had had...and where I stand now? Well- I did! Right away- we found we had so much to talk about...and I told her in gory detail what I had thought. She swore she never thought anything of it- but ... the fact is, fundraising goes BEYOND covering the costs to bring a child home- it is tangible evidence to the family embarking on this journey that they and THEIR CHILD are loved...it is a story that can long be told to the child...you were loved even when you didn't know us. Nobody is asking any one person to donate hundreds of dollars...but hundreds of people donating a dollar...it adds up....and brings kids home!

Yes, it felt yucky to admit what I had been thinking...but what I know now- is that all of our eyes aren't opened to the atrocities of the world at the same time...all of our eyes aren't opened to Jesus at the same time. Some of us grow up knowing Jesus as our savior...and some of us cry out to Him in our depths of despair. It doesn't matter WHEN...just that we DO! I do accept responsibility for the years my eyes were closed...but going forth...they are OPEN...WIDE OPEN...and I can only do the best with the time I have....and once we KNOW what we KNOW...we cannot pretend that we don't. Because it's no longer just us in jeopardy...it's ALL of His people...and yes- we are responsible for our brothers and sisters in Christ- at least that is what HE told us!

No comments:

Post a Comment