Saturday, November 19, 2011

What does adoption cost....and why fundraise?

This is a post that has long been on my heart. But, like all money-related conversations....it's awkward. Going into this whole adoption thing- we thought it was a conversation we could avoid completely. God had blessed us so tremendously that when we started out with the desire to adopt one child- we may never have had to walk this road. We had been tremendously blessed with a savings that would have funded the adoption of one child. It seemed almost a perfect situation...we were called to adopt and we had the funds to do so- amazing! However, now that we have had to step outside our comfort zone I have felt the desire to share on this topic because it is one that affects MANY families who have the heart to adopt....and it is also what KEEPS many people from answering the call to adopt (because where would the money come from?) Additionally, I have seen God bring home children (sometimes multiple children) to families who began their journey without a dollar in their adoption fund. So, with that being said, I am going to seek to answer the question that many may wonder about or want to ask but don't...

When I think of fundraisers I think of candy bars, magazine sales, that delicious caramel popcorn the boy scouts sell....wrapping paper, etc. Those seem like the obvious times we are asked to participate in a fundraiser. Until a few years ago, I had never wondered much about where people come up with the $30,000-$50,000 needed to adopt. And then, I heard about a girl who was fundraising for the adoption of their child and I'm going to be real honest with you all...I thought it was the strangest thing I'd ever heard. It seemed almost a no-brainer to me- if you want to adopt, you should have the money to do so. Now, I look back, and I am embarrassed at my lack of understanding. If you really think about what the average 25-35 year old (the typical child-rearing age) individual has in savings....well, chances are, the majority do not have $30,000 available to fund the cost of adoption....and yet, the number of children waiting for adoption exists in staggering numbers. Should the call go unanswered because the funds don't exist in a SINGLE family's bank account?

At the same time, I'm also going to say, that not everyone is going to feel called to give to another's adoption fund. We are all called to use our finances in different ways. Perhaps there is another need you feel strongly called to and have chosen to give in that way. I'm certainly NOT saying everyone MUST donate to adoption funds. I'm simply attempting to explain WHY families choose to fundraise.

Fundraising puts on display what I'm sure many people wonder....how much does adoption cost anyway? Sure, we all KNOW its expensive- but do we REALLY know all that is involved. I'm going to attempt to break it down for you...

The first fee an adoptive family typically pays is what is referred to as an "Application Fee" and usually ranges between $200-$250 dollars.

Once a family's application is accepted- the family will be asked to pay an agency fee, which will range between $5,000-$5,500 dollars.

Concurrently, a family will also pay for a home study to be conducted...sometimes the adoption agency is responsible for this but most often families will use an outside "home study agency" and pay an additional fee- these really range in price but I will estimate ours was around $2,500 and then pay around $100 for their adoption agency to review the study. Believe me, this is not a job I would want. These social workers have the weighty decision of determining IF a family is suitable for adopting a child, how many, and what ages, needs, etc.

The next fee will be paid at the time of referral...depending on the route a family goes this can come as soon as well....immediately...or up to 15 months later or longer depending on the specifics of one's request. These are known as in-country fees as well. Since referral fees vary I will just use our fee as the estimate...$10,000 for the first child, $7,000 for sibling, and $5,000 for third sibling. Half of this total is due at the time of referral and the other half will be do by court. So a total of $22,000.

The final fees are travel-related. This is dependent on many things obviously...just like any other plane ticket booked. And then of course, the fees for where one will stay when in country. Our agency roughly estimate these fees to be around $1700 per person x 2 (one trip for court one for embassy). Approximately $6,800 (and the cost of a guest house stay). Oh- and the kids need tickets home since we missed out on that "infant in lap" option... =)

There are also miscellaneous fees including FBI fingerprinting, UCIS fingerprinting, UCIS fee ($720 per child/sibling set), Adoptive parents visa ($20 per two trips), and the child's visa ($404 per child). These are paid at different points throughout the process.

So, as you can see (if you are still hanging in there with me) in answer to the #1 most asked question...YES, adoption is expensive, YES, it is worth every penny when you realize what is really happening....a child who has lost EVERYTHING is being given a second chance! There are SO many people involved in bringing these children home....so many jobs that have to be done and done well to make it happen. People who also want to be able to provide for their family and thus, need to be paid. As I said in a previous post, people are fingerprinted for noble causes everyday- it simply can't be free. Additionally, there are two countries involved in this process- two governments- to sets of government officials, and many individuals in between. It is just not possible for adoption to be free...as amazing as that sounds =) And so, we as the adoptive families, are left with decisions to make....and that, my friends, is why many choose to fundraise, MANY choose to apply for grants (which simply cannot be awarded to everyone), and of course readjust their own household budget to make it happen. Because ultimately, the price should not and will not deter those who have been called to open their home to a child through adoption.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is SO well written, girlfriend!!! Can I share this on my blog? Because I know a lot of people just don't get why we are fundraising, but like you said, we honestly do not have $30,000 sitting in the bank. So, we HAVE to because we've been called to adopt. There's no way around it. VERY well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading your words and my heart is full of pride and love. Your words of truth and your calling are from your heart and they are expressed so very eloquently. As you have built your family my pride has grown for the two of you, this is another level. You are an amazing couple. Love Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so interesting to me. My niece is adopted, but I never wanted to be nosy enough to ask my brother about all the financial stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete