It's true. You have my permission to scroll down to the bottom of this post for confirmation. Or sit back and enjoy how God has loved on us right from the start of this journey!
In July, I found myself staring into the faces of three beautiful boys....waiting children....my heart was stirred, it fluttered, it pounded, and it broke into about a thousand little pieces. I would never be the same having stared into those three sets of eyes. Oh I know, there were three....we never said three.
We said, a baby....
God said.....you have a baby....preschooler.
We said, Ok God...a preschooler...
God said....two.
Two? Ok, Two, but that's it God....
God said...I'm sorry, I know the plans I have for you....you just wait!
Our God is HUGE. I write this after a four month journey of what I would consider the closest times I have spent with God. I have listened for His voice, I have cried on my knees, I have begged, I have questioned...and ultimately- my God has given me what I NEED. I will never feel equipped to raise five children, but as someone once told me "God does not call the equipped, he equips the called."
Yes, some may call me crazy....this is what I call crazy....loving children who NEED a mommy whose heart pounds an extra beat for them, and a daddy to wrestle with and be guided by, siblings who love and fight, and a HOME....to love those children and not to GO after them- that is what I call crazy!
I tried it. I tried to forget what I saw on that day in July....but over and over God brought them back to me, to my mind, to my heart...Not one day has gone by since July that I have not thought about their faces, imagined them running through my house, and not one day has gone by that tears have not filled my eyes over the incredible loss and loneliness that is the life of an orphan.
So....last week we made the decision. We said, YES God....we will be the mommy and daddy you have called us to be for these children...we took the leap of faith....and we switched agencies and are officially pursuing these three boys. My heart is slowly mending itself knowing that we are on our way.
It will take prayers, it will take a slightly bigger house, it will take FAITH, it will take sacrifices, it will take patience, it will take many plane tickets home from Ethiopia, it will take waiting, and it will take a God that is HUGE with HUGE plans for the people who are willing to live life a bit radically. There are no certainties with adoption...and this one will be no different....but we stand in Faith with a God who gives more than we could ask or imagine...
For the few who have walked this journey with us for the past four months I thank you for your support and prayers, for hearing my weeping and offering reassurance. We will be forever amazed by the journey we have taken and we can't wait to see how it ends! God is GOOD....ALWAYS!
Join us as we PRAY THEM HOME!!!
If that face doesn't say it all!! This girl will NEVER date =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



That's amazing! What a touching and awesome story of obedience and blessings from God. I can't wait to meet your three newest additions!
ReplyDeleteOh Elizabeth, I've been praying with and for your family since the moment I found out about this process, and continue to do so. The life you guys are pursuing is so inspiring to those of us who are currently content to do what we feel to be the bare minimum and still "love God and love others" (yes, I hear the irony in that ;)) I want you to know that through your family's example God is working on hearts, including my own.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome Elizabeth!! You are not crazy, you are inspiring! I love it. If you get a chance check out www.themorristribe.com It is a friend of my Mom's I have known for most of my life who has nine children, including a set of three siblings adopted from Ethiopia a few years ago. I love big families (I am from a family of 7 kids) and you will too! I will be praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteUm, WOW! You guys amaze me! PRAYING!
ReplyDeletecongratulations!! Sounds like we are in the same place in this journey! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE a million times more!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell you know that I'm excited!!! :O)
ReplyDeleteYEAH!!!! I can't WAIT to get to KNOW YOU!!!! Maybe we'll meet in ADDIS!!! God has a crazy sense of humor that way :)
ReplyDelete