Thursday, April 19, 2012

How do you go from "We're thinking of..." to "We're adopting!"

Tonight, while at a friend's for dinner we were asked a question- one we haven't been asked before! The question was...

How do you go from, "we're thinking of adopting"....to...."we're adopting!"

Exactly one year ago is when we began this journey...so it is only fitting that this question was posed to us tonight. One year ago I had just finished my first ten mile race- a goal I set to shed the baby weight of Little Miss. One year ago I stumbled across Radical at a local bookstore- and I still hold one friend accountable for that purchase =) One year ago, I thought Little Miss would remain the baby of this family (well- I guess I was right about that!) One year ago, I became so discontented with my dead faith that I chose to do something about it...and handed my husband Radical so we could all go down together.

For us, deciding to adopt was a rather quick process...Was adoption on our radar at that time? Not really- well, not at all- but we were willing to leave the door open for whatever God had in store for us. What I know now is that when God calls you to something- and you choose not to answer- He will NOT stop calling. And it will all happen just as quickly as He would like it to...for us that was about a seven day span. Sure, you can disguise it, bury it...try to negotiate with Him...but when He is seeking your obedience- His presence will be undeniable... And you will unknowingly walk into church one day to see James 1:27 and a picture of an adorable little Ethiopian boy plastered across the powerpoint screen and turn to each other, eyes wide, and say "I think He means now."

This entire journey has really been a faith walk. I- in particular- have had my doubts, frustrations, and questions on this faith walk....but one thing has remained consistent...God has been faithful to me, to us, to our boys, to our family. Even when I claimed "How can anything good come out of a five month wait for a court date?"- God was ready and willing to meet me where I was. I have learned during this process- it's okay to be honest with God- He can handle those doubts and frustrations...but what won't change is that He already has it worked out, He already knew our emotions before we felt them- so He isn't likely to be offended. So yes, we started this faith walk with a running start...we staggered in the middle...but we're trusting till the end that our faithful God will reunite our family very soon.

There is no doubt in my mind after meeting our three sons...that the day in which we decided to adopt...the day in which we saw the picture of their beautifully handsome faces waiting for someone to say "Yes"...was the same day God invited us to grow closer to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment