Well, it is always waffles...but they're certainly not topped with ice cream...for that matter- everyone gets a rationed three squirts of syrup...and I'd suggest you don't ask for more.
It occurred to me last week, that perhaps my Facebook wall was not an accurate documentation of our transition/adjustment/new normal- call it what you may. The smiles are all real that's for sure- but in documenting our first trip to the beach, vacation, bowling, swimming, biking, museum visits, first day of preschool, and birthdays...I may have led you to inaccurately believe that our children are always smiling....
They are...80% of the time.
They still hurt...still question...
I would be remiss to not tell you...tonight was a night that I found myself absolutely humbled by the sovereignty, healing, and grace of God. That when my children are hurting- He overflows me with love and compassion. That when my children have questions and doubts- He gives me the words. That when my children are sad- He offers the perfect comfort and I can cry with them. That when my children are happy- He softens the demands of the world and gives me the ease to laugh.
I take refuge in the assurance God gave that these were our children- thus, He would provide all I would need to care for them. And all the forgiveness I would need for the mistakes I would make along the way. God gives me the strength to parent intentionally...to focus on my children...focus on my marriage...focus on Him...and in doing so, He FREES me from the burden of feeling life is out of control, feeling overwhelmed, worrying...He gives me the ability to laugh at the food bill, creativity to meet the power struggles, strength to remind the offender ONCE more to pick up his shoes....oh, and don't get me started on the smell of the bathroom...thank GOD for Bath and Body Works air fresheners!
We actually eat very little ice cream...well the kids eat very little ice cream...(we hide the bowls before the breakfast rush.) We have a pretty structured schedule...the consequences can be harsh...we parent all five children fairly and ask God to give us the wisdom to remember the circumstances from which they came...
Tonight someone made the comment to me "What an awesome family"...to which I responded, "I think so too!"...God stitches families together...and His work is always awesome.
It occurred to me last week, that perhaps my Facebook wall was not an accurate documentation of our transition/adjustment/new normal- call it what you may. The smiles are all real that's for sure- but in documenting our first trip to the beach, vacation, bowling, swimming, biking, museum visits, first day of preschool, and birthdays...I may have led you to inaccurately believe that our children are always smiling....
They are...80% of the time.
They still hurt...still question...
I would be remiss to not tell you...tonight was a night that I found myself absolutely humbled by the sovereignty, healing, and grace of God. That when my children are hurting- He overflows me with love and compassion. That when my children have questions and doubts- He gives me the words. That when my children are sad- He offers the perfect comfort and I can cry with them. That when my children are happy- He softens the demands of the world and gives me the ease to laugh.
I take refuge in the assurance God gave that these were our children- thus, He would provide all I would need to care for them. And all the forgiveness I would need for the mistakes I would make along the way. God gives me the strength to parent intentionally...to focus on my children...focus on my marriage...focus on Him...and in doing so, He FREES me from the burden of feeling life is out of control, feeling overwhelmed, worrying...He gives me the ability to laugh at the food bill, creativity to meet the power struggles, strength to remind the offender ONCE more to pick up his shoes....oh, and don't get me started on the smell of the bathroom...thank GOD for Bath and Body Works air fresheners!
We actually eat very little ice cream...well the kids eat very little ice cream...(we hide the bowls before the breakfast rush.) We have a pretty structured schedule...the consequences can be harsh...we parent all five children fairly and ask God to give us the wisdom to remember the circumstances from which they came...
Tonight someone made the comment to me "What an awesome family"...to which I responded, "I think so too!"...God stitches families together...and His work is always awesome.



No comments:
Post a Comment