Monday, June 18, 2012

One Month Home.

It is hard to believe. We landed in America one month ago. After hours and hours of traveling...we walked off the plane with two insanely happy little boys and one sobbing. We tried and tried to comfort him knowing our family was waiting on the other side...his brothers promised him we were DONE with planes and we were really in America now. They begged and pleaded with him to walk..."Grammy, Grandma, camera, balloons" they repeated- but nothing consoled him...and so we carried him....crying...to meet his new family members.

The next day we realized that by the time we had landed we had been traveling 29 hrs and he had slept maybe 5 of them...and it was currently 2am in Ethiopia (the day after we had started the trip)...and he is only four. He had cried on and off during the trip...and sometimes his face just said it all...as if he was thinking- "my brothers think this is a good idea?" He was the baby...but not anymore...now he is the middle child...in a family of 5 kids...and he has been artificially twinned...a whole lot to take in in one month's time. And really when I step back and think about it, he is doing great. In fact, today he attended his first American birthday party for a friend of Little Man!

It has been one month. I can hardly believe it (did I say that already?) They are riding bikes, eating McDonald's, jumping in bounce houses, riding power wheels, begging for popsicles, living it up at the beach, jumping in our pool, playing on soccer teams, asking to go to school....they are kids...kids who test and challenge, try to bargain for a second cookie, protest bedtime, tattle on their brother, and give their sister anything her little heart desires.

They are learning how to be siblings...Little Miss now has four doting big brothers who love to make her laugh...and likewise- she keeps them howling in laughter...in many ways- she was the key to bonding all five together. Little Man has gained some confidence...he has tried new foods, gotten over his fear of the ocean...he laughs...A LOT...he is also EXHAUSTED from keeping up with three big brothers.

Sometimes it is hard when you are meeting this adjustment phase- for them and me (2 to 5 kids is an adjustment for mom!) head on, day after day, you easily forget just how much progress has been made in one month. And then, I remember the morning after returning home- seven adults trying to keep track of 5 kids trying to ride bicycles- reminding them that in America cars come down the street...and my head spinning thinking "How will I do this alone?"....fast-forward one month and that day seems like a distant memory- we CAN ride bikes outside...heck, 2 are now riding 2-wheelers! And believe me- that seems miraculous!! When you end the day with a bedtime protest- sometimes it seems like the whole day was tragic...but when I look back over the day I realize- hey- we ate lunch out- like sitting at a table- and nobody complained...oh, and everyone ate dinner, showered, attended story time...wait- we played a game together like a normal family...and swam in the pool laughing...hmmm- we DID have a great day!

Many people have asked how I am? I'm busy- which I like...I'm happy...I'm often on the verge of tears if I even have a remote thought of the life my children had a mere two months ago...I'm tired of course- until my second wind around 9pm...I often don't have the answers and parent on instinct...the books have failed me more than once- my kids don't fit the books- and for that I am thankful. I am learning how to be a better parent- following through- accepting the crying and complaining because in the long-run- my consistency is going to prove worthwhile! I am living in absolute awe and wonder at my God.

When I look back over this journey all I can see is God's story coming together...it started with Him and He saw it through....HE told us these children were ours (one day I will share that story)...HE brought them home...HE is the one healing their hurts and their hearts...HE'S GOT THIS...somewhere along the way I actually started believing this...my husband just returned home from a 10 day trip for work...our kids did great- despite what all the books say and warn...he had to go on this trip and all we could do was pray that God would comfort the boys in his absence...upon his leaving I truly felt confident He would-...and you know what HE DID! They did awesome! They were so excited to see him return- he surprised them at their soccer game...and they picked up right where they left off. God's pretty awesome....He had this family planned long before we did...and there was nothing that was going to keep us from coming together.

One month home...and finding our new normal.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Boyds, for your obedience...love how you are trusting every little thing in His hands and you're right, He does have this!! you have a truly beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay God! What a testimony of His Greatness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you all! I'm HONORED to call you all family!!! I just love keeping up with you and find out about how everyone is doing!! Hope to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete