Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Are we Cocooning?

No...and yes.

My answer really depends on the day and time you ask me. Do we let just anybody into our house? No. Are we confining ourselves to the walls of our home? No. Have we fed the boys fast food? YOU BET. Have we left home and explored public places? Yes or I'd have ripped all my hair out. Let's face it- we have three VERY active boys...+ 2 more active bio kiddos. We are busting at the seams with energy starting at 6am...add early risers to non-stop energy and mom is 4 cups of coffee in by 9am! So, yes, we are cocooning and no, we are not. We have been to the beach three times, an indoor playground, bowling, ice cream, McDonald's, Sonic, the doctor, the mall for shoes, bounce houses- I think that's everything. Have we walked into a birthday party of 50 kids and told our boys to fend for themselves? No. We are monitoring our boys for any single moment of hesitancy or fearfulness, anxiety or concern...and we have not seen it in these situations. We try to limit our outings to every other day max. We did two days in a row last week and noticed we needed to pull things back in- so we did- and it worked well.

Personally, the idea of cocooning frightened me beyond belief before bringing our boys home. With our 2 bio kids- I preferred keeping busy- morning and afternoon activities- sign me up! I like to be on the go- I like to be tired at the end of the day and I ESPECIALLY like tired kids at the end of the day. Isn't that the point? So I expected keeping all 5 of our kids home day after day could really be the biggest challenge God had in store for me. Thankfully- God gave me 3 more kids who like to be on the go..."car, go, out?"Our boys behave beautifully in public- do they always want to get OUT of the car when we get home? No, but we are working on it =) It also helps that I am not on my own just yet. My amazing mother-in-law has been here since the beginning. Some may say that is completely opposite of cocooning but for us and our personal situation it was necessary. We are a young family where Dad works very long hours and also travels- the second set of hands has been much needed during the day during this transition. The boys have responded well to her and for that I am very grateful!

So- that is the best I can answer that question. We are doing what works well for us on that day and in that moment! The boys are doing well...we are overcoming challenges- working through things- and ultimately finding our new "normal".


No comments:

Post a Comment