Sunday, March 25, 2012

A picture's worth...

I guess normally that would end with "a thousand words" but really in this case it was worth thousands of miles...flying to Ethiopia and back....to meet the three boys whose faces made me wonder, "God, what are you asking us to do?" Last July I saw the picture that stuck with me and on October 11th we officially accepted their referral, submitted our dossier, and just today we returned from Ethiopia having met their sweet personalites, hugged their adorable selves, and played countless hours of soccer. We laughed together- they laughed at our attempts at Amharic- and we laughed as they tried ketchup, ice cream, and cake for the first time.

Court was not an easy process... In the end, we left with still one more piece of paper to be acquired before they will be "ours"- but we did stand before the judge and give our consent and receive her approval- and our MOWA letter was present and favorable. So, I guess we did what we needed to do- and will wait for more information expected to come the first week in April.

Right now- I am still reflecting on our week. It was a lot to take in...a lot to think about...a lot to learn from...and it opened our eyes even more to the need that exists. There is a big difference between TALKING about the orphan crisis and seeing it...between watching your children step out of too-short pants and into new clothes...and trading crocs for sneakers, hearing your children ask for meat with such excitement and realizing it is because they don't normally eat it. There were so many times I had to stop and remind myself that their amazement over something was because...they had never seen it, held it, experienced it. Tears escaped when I realized why it was so important to them to zip the suitcase we brought for them everytime they left the room...it was THEIRS. I had to catch my breath everytime I caught our 6 year old washing his soccer ball in the bathroom sink.

More than anything....I had to control my tears when I saw them with their "Dad". Taking turns getting piggy backs, wrestling, hugging, sitting on his lap...you name it- they craved it. It was a struggle at times to realize that HE was what they so desperately needed...the female caretaker is what they are used to...the Dad figure is what has truly been missing. I have never loved my husband more than I did watching him in that courtyard.

I have to stop and marvel at how God can possibly use a picture to nudge a family- we left for ET believing that the three boys in the picture we saw last July were worth fighting/working for...and so we went... and now we will wait some more- but having met them- we wait with faith that God has the ending of this story just as beautifully authored as He did the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. They are great boys. I was honored enough to meet them. the youngest was my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully said, Elizabeth. Watching, waiting, hoping, praying with you.

    ReplyDelete